by Inter Options Business Solutions in 15 tips for working from home Posted on 20/10/2020 00:00
Times have changed and there are a lot more of us working from home. It can be really difficult though to separate work and life when they’re both happening in the same place.
Here are a few of our tips or suggestions to effectively work from home.
- Get situated – first things first — set up your home office to make it work for you as best you can. Although some of these seem obvious, before you get to work, consider which space in your home has:
- A solid internet connection
- An electrical outlet
- Good lighting and a desk
- Please get yourself a decent chair that will support your back.
- Change out of your pyjamas….you might have to take a sudden conference call!
- Wake up the same time as you normally would if you were going in to the office, this will allow you to prepare mentally for your day ahead.
- Would you go barefoot to the office…put some shoes on!
- When your work day is over be sure switch off all work related emails UNLESS you’re being paid for overtime work.
- Clearly define what hours you will be working and stick to it.
- Take frequent breaks so you don’t burn out. You’re probably not actually working 100% of the time when you’re in an office anyway..
- Clearly separate your weekends.
- Try to socialise with friends more when you can so as not to feel to isolated and don’t stop collaborating with your team.
- If you don’t have a door to where you’re working create an imaginary one and let your family know to be quiet and that you’re working.
- Go outside for a break the fresh air will do you wonders.
- Use headphones during conference calls to minimize the amount of audio feedback and times that random sounds interrupt the conversation.
- Get noise on your side – Sometimes when it’s too quiet its difficult to concentrate so put the TV on softly or have some music playing in the background.
- Be sure to use the time that you would normally be spending in traffic effectively.